Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Pop-up Gift Card Box -- Tutorial

On of my favourite go to gifts at Christmas is Gift Cards!  Every year I try to design or CASE a gift card holder that is different from last year.   This year I wanted to make a little gift box that pulls the gift card out as you open it.  I played around with a couple of ideas and this is what I came up with.  You only need one sheet of 8.5 x 11 card stock for this box and the insert. 


You will need 
  • 1 piece of 8 1/2 x 11  Card Stock 
  • Paper Trimmer
  • Pen
  • Sharp knife or Paper Snips and cutting pad
  • Strong Adhesive 
  • Ruler
I started by cutting out all of the pieces from my one sheet of paper.  As you can see to the left if you cut correctly you can get it all from one sheet. Dimensions are as follows;
 
Box:  6 1/2 x 7 
         score long side at 1 1/2 and 5 1/2
         score short side at 2 1/2 and 4
 

Lid:  6 1/8 x 3 5/8
        score at 1" on all sides
 
Spring Inside Lid: 1/2  x 8
        score at  2, 2 1/2, 3, 5, 5 1/2, and 6
 
Card Holder: 1 1/4 x 11
        score at 2 1/2, 5 1/4, 7 3/4 and 10 1/2
To the right you see the Card Holder piece. Using a ruler mark your cut spots on the two sections that are 2 1/2" This will hold the card.  I used the card as my reference for the length of the slit.  Below you can see how I used a knife to cut out the slits. 
Once the slits are cut and used my snips to make them only slightly bigger.  I also cut the 1/2" tab at the bottom as shown so it does not get in the way.
 Fold all your pieces along the score lines and for the lid and box be sure to cut out the tabs that you will be adhering together.
 This is the piece that I call the "spring."  This piece will be attached to the top of the card holder and adhered to the inside of the lid. 
 Here are the pieces all put together. I have added DSP to the lid and versa marked the base prior to gluing it together.
This shows the card holder and the spring attached together. 
Use a strong adhesive to glue the top of the spring to the inside of the lid, as shown.   The spring allows the card to sit inside the box when it is closed and to drop down when it is opened so it can be seen and removed from the holder.
 Now you are ready to slide the Gift Card into the slits and put the lid on the box!
 Ta Da!
 When it is opened the gift card comes out with the lid. 









Below is the complete box with the additions of the embellishments. 

2 comments:

  1. This is so fun! A wonderful way to give a gift, and only using one sheet of paper makes it economical, too. Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments they mean the world to me. Have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...